Friday, February 18, 2005

My life in a pile

The local version of the Agency Formerly Known as the INS has sent me a notification that I need to send them a large pile of paper. Okay, it's a fairly small pile of paper. So I spent my day going through my obsessive compulsive files and finding all the stuff they want to show that I should be allowed to stay here. So happy our printer doubles as a copier. Now it's all sitting here waiting to be tabbed and collated or something.

Did you know that the Dutch government also asks whether you have ever conspired to or advocated the overthrow of the Dutch government by force or violence? Or the equivalent, anyway.

Every time I see that kind of question, the lyrics to "Alice's Restaurant" appear in my head. I always have to fight the urge to ask just how stupid they think people are. Do you suppose that any person has ever actually answered "why yes, all the time, why do you ask?" Or maybe, "wanna see my AK?".

No comments: