Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Horrible bugs

Well, the dermatologist's diagnosis was confirmed, there has been a Bug Sighting. It appears that one of the beasties jumped up on Paul's book while he was reading yesterday. Waved hello. Something. Perhaps they are hungry, as the Little Bird has gone for a short vacation with relatives to be treated for infestation.

So out came the horrible toxic chemical waste byproduct bottles, wielded against the invasion on the curtains, sofas, pillows, what have you. Tomorrow when the kids are at school I have to treat the beds and bedding.

The only horrible bit is, well, you know how Douwe has had a mysterious rash every single summer we have been here? The one we chalked up to new soap or chicken pox or whatever? You don't suppose the house has been infested for five years?

A call to the vet's office confirmed it; it could very easily have been. Which means they are, of course, everywhere. The vet's office suggested we leave the bird gone for three months, which should be long ewnough for the damn things to all die. Evidently bugs are highly specialized and while Douwe's blood is nice for a little snack (bleah) it won't keep them laying eggs.

You know what? When people have killed each other, the insects will still be here.

6 comments:

josetteplank.com said...

Ugh..ugh...ugh...

I've been through something similar twice. Nothing like child-munching bugs to bring on an extended case of the heebie-skeevies. I must say, reading certain scenes in historical fiction novels has become more...poignant. Oh, and I can't look at apes grooming each other without hearing Darwin giggling.

So sorry you have to bring out the heavy artillery. I'm usually a "kill it naturally" kind of gal, but for parasites and poison ivy, I've become quick to hold my nose and nuke 'em.

Anonymous said...

Jeannine:

Good grief, what a mess!! Hopefully, the bird will not come back. I hope you have some industrial strength soap to wash all the bed clothes with. You may have to wash all of everyones clothes as well. Anything that the lirttle buggers hide in. I hope they starve quickly!

Dad

Anonymous said...

Yuk- what kind of beasts are these ? From a bird ?

sue

Jeannine said...

Hi, dad,

I am afraid that the bird is a junior citizen and is coming back. They have always had a bird, as far back as Paul can remember.

I am told that this is not as bad as head lice, that you don't have to wash all the soft toys and so on. But yeah, the bedding and so on for sure.

The bird is to be treated with some kind of ongoing thing, which you put on the back of the neck. (The bird's neck, not the child's neck) I am told it works; I know that something similar for cats works very well.

Jeannine said...

Hi, sue,

They go by the charming name of "bloedluis" and are apparently quite common in birds. Adult humans don't react to them, and most children don't either. They are too small to pierce human skin, usually.

I never thought of the bird as a possible vector. Since he had no respiratory symptoms, I ruled out a bird allergy and forgot all about pukkie. Shows what I know.

Evidently Douwe is more tender than the rest of us, in more ways than one.

Anonymous said...

Jeannine:

Do they have those insecticide bombs over there. If they do, I would get those and shot them off. I'd put one in each room if I could. Just take the family out for the day...or overnight if you can. They sure helped when we had a flea problem last year. I know you will still have to wash everything to kill the eggs, but these bombs would at least get what is flying and crawling.

Love, Mom