Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Ramblings

We now for pretty obvious reasons have a book on The Human Body. The kind with see through pages with the organs of the various systems all picked out in Technicolor. It is bidding fair to compete with Pooh for Favorite Bedtime Reading.

In particular, Thing Two is wild about The Human Body. Today I got to outline for him exactly how the brain and nervous sytem work. Try that in language suitable for a four year old. When I put him to bed I asked him how many kisses he wanted (I ask him that every night). He said "I am thinking in my brain now. I think in my brain maybe ten". And pointed to his cheek.

I said, "Your brain is in here" and pointed to the top of his head. He said "Yes, but ten is too many to fit in there so you have to kiss me here".

Thing One on the other hand is extremely interested in blood. No, I know you knew that, but I mean, blood still in veins and the heart and so on. How it all gets pumped around, up and down and over and under and through. He is very disappointed that you can see his brother's veins nearly everywhere and mine, too but his you can really only see on his hands and feet. Those hundred generations of Portuguese fishermen again, he is darker complected even though it's the tail of winter.

Okay it doesn't take much to be darker than me and Thing Two.

Thing One is in general angry -- with Nel for being sick, with me for not making her better, and well, just in general. He has no idea why he is angry or what he is angry at to tell you the truth. He is just angry. We painted the jello eggs today and he painted his in furious swirls of black, red, and dark green. He has pulled back into his fantasy world a bit and it is once more dificult to get his attention tracked off of it and onto ordinary and mundane matters. I did not consciously realize that he had stopped doing that actually, until he began doing it again.

Thing Two is clingy and at random moments throws both arms around my neck and insists that I must stay with him, that I can never go away.

No comments: