Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Jello eggs

I made jello eggs today. I also made jelly eggs yesterday. You know what? What Dutch guys call jelly is a dessert, red, made with a day-glo powder by heating and then cooling.

But it is not, despite many assurances that it must be, it is most resoundingly not Jello.

It is in fact jelly. No translation necessary, it is a dessert made with pectin and so on.

It's all soggy and soft and does not make a good egg.

So I made them today with sheet gelatin, plain old glass-looking sheets of gelatin, and fruit juice.

Now, that's a good egg. They are as hard as knox blox. I had so hoped to make them green, because Daan would simply die if I fed him green eggs and ham for breakfast. His little eyes would be bigger than the eggs if I served him a green egg. Alas, no green.

They are red. Eh, it's easter, red eggs, I can go with that.

I expect we will color them tomorrow.

No comments: