Friday, April 07, 2006

A candle

For the past couple of weeks, Nel has not been feeling especially well. She did not, of course, tell anybody very much about it until about two weeks ago when she went to the doctor. He gave her some medicine and told her to call him in two weeks if it didn't get better.

Then when we were on vacation she started to turn yellow. So she went back to the doctor, who ordered some tests. Then there were some more tests.

It appears Nel has pancreatic cancer. She will be operated on next Friday. The good news is, that while it has spread it does not appear to have spread very far. The bad news is, part of it is in a bad place and they may not be able to remove it. They cannot tell whether it can be removed until they actually open her up and have a look.

I will no doubt write quite a lot more about this before we are done (and certainly before Friday) but in the mean time I have a request.

My mother in law firmly believes in lighting candles for people. Anyone reading this blog who feels so inclined, would you please light a candle for my mother in law.

And a personal note to my dad: Dad, I never, ever thought I would say this. I am not sure I would ask it for myself. But for Nel, I certainly would.

Would you call Maxine and get the prayer circle cranked up?

All other prayer circles are also welcome. But Maxine's prayer circle, well. Maxine's prayer circle is a blog entry all by itself. What can I tell you, some people just have it going on.
I'll start.

Lord Jesus, Divine Physician and Healer of the sick, we turn to you in this time of illness. O dearest comforter of the troubled, alleviate our worry and sorrow with your gentle love, and grant us the grace and strength to accept this burden. Dear God, we place in your hands the body of Nel van der Linden, whom we love.

Hold her in your hand, O Lord, We place Nel under your care and humbly ask that if it be your will, you restore her to health again. Grant us also, Father, the grace to acknowledge your will and know that whatever you do, you do for the love of us.

To your care, Blessed Mother, we commend the surgeons and physiscians and nurses and caregivers of Nel van der Linden; Turn your eyes with gentle mercy upon them. Guide their hands, calm their hearts and touch them with Your strength and certainty and joy in the power of life and knowledge of the sorrow of death as they too minister to Nel, whom we love.

Be near and watch, O Lord, with all those who wake, or watch, or weep tonight, and give your angels charge over those who sleep. Tend your sick ones, O Lord Christ. Rest your weary ones. Bless your dying ones. Soothe your suffering ones. Pity your afflicted ones. Shield your joyous ones. And for all your love's sake.

3 comments:

josetteplank.com said...

Yes. Of course.

Anonymous said...

Jeannine:

Done. I assume you mean McGhee's wife Thaxine.

Praying for Nell,
Dad

Jeannine said...

Hi, dad,

You are absolutely right. How did I get that name wrong? I knew her name was Thaxine. That's embarassing.

But thank you.