Saturday, March 19, 2005

Pao Doce

Okay, who's got the two loaf version of Nanny's sweet bread recept? (I have no plans to start with 10 pounds of flour and a granite washtub). Last I heard it was in the custody of Perfect Joey.

I have suddenly been struck by the need to make Easter bread; go figure, the whole family is sick and I am thinking about making bread.

I have this one:

7 cups flour
1 cup milk
1 cup sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup water
2 pkgs yeast
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup warm water

Combine 2 cup flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Dissolve yeast in the 1/4 cup warm water. Add to flour mixture. Place milk, butter, and 1/4 cup water in small pan. Heat on low heat until warm. Add to flour mixture. Beat 2 minutes. Add eggs and 3/4 cup flour. Beat 2 minutes. Add enough flour to make soft dough. Knead 8-10 minutes. Grease bowl and place dough inside. Cover and let rise until double. Punch down dough. Form into loaves. Cover and let rise until double. Bake 30 minutes at 350F.

Sound familiar to anyone? If this is it, I think I will be missing my Kitchenaid mixer pretty soon. I have no idea where it came from.

I found one on the Internet, but it involves evaporated milk so I know that's not it. And I found another one which involves nutmeg and melted chocolate; sounds like one of those *sniff* decadent hawaiian portuguese got ahold of it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeannine:

Obviously, I have no clue about a sweet bread recipe, but I am pretty sure the real thing did not involve electrical appliances. LOL. I will be out of town and away from my work and home computers until next Friday. I'll be near Sarasota, FL. I don't know if the motel will have internet access and my laptop is not working well, but I may take it anyhow. If so, I'll be at buddyepa@alltel.net

Hope the sickness has peaked and is going away.

Love,
Jeannone's Dad

Anonymous said...

This looks like the right receipe--at least the ingredients are correct. I don't know if the proportions are as Nanny made it. Just remember this bread (if you are not using a machine) requires a lot of pounding. So you might want to make this bread when you are mad..great way to take out your hostilities.



A note to Jeannine's Dad:

When you are in the Sarasota area try oone of the Amish places to eat. Great food. There is a small Amish community there..it is where many Amish vacation and retire.

Anonymous said...

Jeannine:

Remember I told you I knew someone who worked at the Forum who might know Carole? Well they do know each other. Kat workee there when Carole was there and she knows Gary too. And you never told me what Darlene's last name was..could you let me know.

Mom

Anonymous said...

I reorganizing, I came upon your receipe for 5 pounds of flour sweet bread. I think you got it from Auntie Eileen when you were in California. Anyhow I will give it to you when you come.

Mom

Anonymous said...

Maryjo:

Too bad I didn't get you Amish comment on time. I did see that area, but paid the food no mind. What is their specialty? The Stone Crab on the other hand were great!

John