Monday, September 26, 2005

The Blitz

The Blitz is warming up over here. You may not have noted it, but it is true that the entire Dutch branch of this family was born in the fall or winter. The Blitz, then, starts with Douwe's birthday in October. We move on to St. Nicholas in November, then Paul's birthday, then Christmas, then Daan's and Nel's birthday* and then Ernests's birthday.

So my children will forever associate gift related holidays with being cold? I dunno. But the former days of having Douwe's birthday party out of doors are, I think, gone forever unless we move again. >shudder<.

This year we are planning a party for Douwe's birthday elsewhere, at a local play place. We have the same problem as last year, to wit: it's a new school and he has not really had time to sort out which kids are which. So he just wants to invite the whole class. Less extravagant heads have prevailed, and we are not inviting the whole class. I think in the end we will probably have about eight or nine kids (but I have invitations for fifteen, lol). The other problem is that his birthday falls during the fall vacation, and I have no idea how many people will be out of town for that.

He wants a Superman costume, which I apparently am going to have to make, as Superman is not really hot here and I cannot find one to buy. He also wants a Batman costume, (and Daan of course immediately declared that he wants Robin) but I think they will have to wait until St. Nicholas (well, there is an upside to all these holidays coming together as well). I expect Batman and Robin will also be going to Carnaval, so I had better remember to make them long sleeved, lol.

In any event, I suppose I am going to have to dust off my costuming and prop skills, warm up the sewing machine, and go to work. That's the nice thing about skills, I suppose, they are ultimately rarely wasted. Anyone with any clever ideas about how to make the "s" on superman's shirt moveable, let me know, that's Douwe's latest idea. He wants a costume where the "s" can come off and be stuck on other t shirts as superpowers may be required in a context not allowing for the whole costume.

God, what a mommy I have become. Next thing you know I will be trying to make cookies with a big red "S" in the middle.


*Well, Nel has no birthday any more, having given it as a gift to Daan when he was born on the same day. Or at least that's her story. The odd part is, Nel's youngest son was also born on his paternal grandmother's birthday. Seems to be a family problem.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeannine:

Double sided tape may allow for a portable "S" at least until the "sticky" is used up.

A thought....

Dad

Jeannine said...

Is there any problem which cannot be solved by either duct tape or double sided sticky tape?

Just curious, lol.

Anonymous said...

Velcro, dear.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to you both-

sue

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a naughty teesTee site called Holden Tees. We're a small company and we sell shirts and stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time

-Holden Tees