Monday, April 02, 2007

Ask me about mung dal

Go on, I dare you. It appears that the ayurvedic spa agreed with our Nel. It agreed with her so well that she wants to try out the ayurvedic diet.

Okay, I'll back up the truck. Ayurveda is a system of, er, looking at life, the universe and everything and also a way of approaching medical problems, with its origins in India. Here's a website which sort of sets it all out. But in this instance we are talking about a way of eating mostly, as Nel has to take care of all the other stuff herself. So here's what Nel is supposed to eat.

So the idea is, there are three types of, er, energies and in each person one or two are usually dominant. Which type you are determines what you are and are not supposed to eat and so on. For the curious, here's a dosha quiz so you can play along at home.

Good thing I did that vegetarian thing when I was with Bob, eh? No, seriously, the things we do for men. I have actually cooked in a way similar to this before so it isn't entirely alien. Still and all, I must say, it took me a couple years to figure out how to cook "south of holland" style and now I get to scrap much of it and start figuring out how to cook ayurvedic of all things. From smashing up endive in mashed potatoes with cheese to cooking rice and lentils in clarified butter is a bit of a stretch. But I feel certain I can do it, after all, I suppose that really dumb people all over India manage it every day.

I suppose doing it for your mother in law is more noble in some way than doing it for some guy. On the other hand, doing it for your mother in law means you don't get flowers, jewelry, or even regular sex out of it so that's a downside. *

No, the kids have not been converted or anything. Though it's only been a week or so, give them time and they'll be sucking down the rice and lentils with the best of them. And Dearly Beloved has no plans to become vegetarian so I expect chops will remain on offer.
Anyway, 'scuse me guys, I gotta go make some ghee.

* Oh. Right. That's why it's noble. Got it.

3 comments:

cmthite said...

Ayurveda as a science is not against non veg food. In fact, there are may nonveg recipes explained in ancient ayurvedic texts. Non veg foods are also categorized according to dosha. Fish and other animals living in watery areas increase kapha and decrease vata, etc. However, it is also mentioned in ayurveda that it is better to refrain from nonveg food in order to increase the satva guna in you which helps in your spiritual improvement. Sounds contradictory? cmthite@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

But of course it does.......

A science though?

Dad

Anonymous said...

Jeannine

Anthing that will actually help is not a bad thing. That said, there are a lot of these both old and new as you know.

I took the "test", but it imparted no knowledge to me at my nonheightened state of enlightenment....

Dad