Monday, February 19, 2007

Breaking Silence

Well, I suppose if there is any time to break a long silence it would be with Carnaval. If Carnaval is anything, it is loud. The kidlets decided to "go do Carnaval" tonight after dinner, so everybody got dressed up and off we went. I think Paul thought he was going to get to have a lovely evening in a pub. However, we took two steps into the door and both kids clapped their hands over their ears and went back outside. Carnaval indoors means VERY LOUD OOMPAH MUSIC.


So they ran about in the darkness in their Carnaval costumes -- Eldest as a magician and Youngest as Batman -- and played tag in the church square with all the other kids who couldn't take the noise.


Yesterday was the grownup's parade, which I watched mostly from the upstairs window. Well, it does come right beside the house. The kids and Paul and Nel stayed outside long enough to use up most of the confetti we bought and then came in too.


Here it is:













Well, there is more of it of course, about 42 more floats to be exact. We have a very nice turnout every year for the Carnaval parade.

Here is one of the merry onlookers:




And we had a good turnout for the kids' school carnaval parade on Friday also:






Eldest missed the school parade and party as he was still recovering from a week long bout of first the flu and then an ear infection. By Sunday he was up and around again and today he is pretty much his usual self.

If I get up the nerve to take them to the traditional bonfire at midnight tomorrow night which officially ends Carnaval and is the signal to quit partying and get ready for Lent, I will let you know. I am not sure either of them can stay awake until midnight -- and am even less sure that I can, as I have had the flu the whole week also. But I might.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to see you back, hope all is well.

Of the three of us it is Kevin who most loves a parade. He took us to the New Year's Day parade up in town a couple of years ago. He did all the right parade-y things - beaming and applauding the floats - I quietly shivered, and Callum sat on the pavement shouting 'bored, bored, bored, bored, bored!'

Anonymous said...

Jeannine

Great pics! It looks and sounds just like the Mardi Gras I grew up with in Mobile.

Dad

Jeannine said...

Catherine, somehow I thought that the first comment would be from you. It is not a really popular virtue, faithfulness, but I want to thank you for it anyway. Imagine your continuing to look at my blog after so many months of nothing being there.

Dad, the thing is, they don't throw beads. I think I am going to join a Carnaval crewe (they don't call them Crewes, they call them >impronounceable dutch word which sounds very much like the word for a household cleaner of all things< instead) and introduce the custom.

Well, I don't think flashing will catch on, it's February in Holland after all. Oh, wait, the flashing is in the city formerly known as New Orleans, innit?

Anonymous said...

Mwah! Hope that flu is all gone.